Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Examining The Heart - Psalm 139



          I read an article by a man named Matt Moore on homosexuality and Christianity. (You can find it here). In an attempt to summarize all that he said, basically everyone sins sexually, and we shouldn't condemn the gay/homosexual community for their attraction to the same sex.

Here's some stuff the Bible says on the subject:


"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's 
eye, but do not notice  the log that is in your 
own eye?" - Matthew 7:3


"Judge not, and you will not be judged, condemn not, 
and you will not be condemned, forgive not, and you 
will not be forgiven." - Luke 6:37

The Bible also conveys that everyone is equal in the sense that they are sinners, but sexual sin is a bit different because of the way it affects the person.


"Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits outside the body, but the sexually immoral 
person sins against his own body."
- 1 Corinthians 6:18

In other sins, for example lying or gossiping or tearing someone down with your words, the other person is the one that is hurt the most, or the sin affects you more on the surface. Sexual sin on the other hand is a deep, resounding pain that affects all parties very much below the surface. 

So how do we address this matter?

          I think we can all agree that the issue of sexuality is a big deal right now. The upstart and surge of the LGBT movement right now can be equated to the Civil Rights Movement of 60 years ago (which even continues today). First we have to recognize that people have a right and the freedom to do whatever they want, and someone can't force another person to do something just because they think it is right. Also it is imperative to realize that we are all equal in our sexual sin. I know that I have impure thoughts, and I long for an earthly relationship with a man, when I should be satisfied with a heavenly relationship with my Lord and King.

"But I say to you that everyone who looks at
a woman with lustful intent has already
committed adultery with her in his heart."
- Matthew 6:28

Hate to break it to ya, ladies, but I'm pretty sure this verse goes both ways. And even though I have never dated anyone, I still have sinned, because I forget to trust in God's purpose and perfect timing. 

          The biggest thing about the discord between the church and the gay community is that, for the most part, both sides of the argument find their identity in their position. Most homesexual/bisexual/etc. people literally identify with their sexuality. As most Christians find their identity in Christianity. There is a fine line, however, between Christianity and Jesus, because there is the whole issue about the Christian sub-culture of today that deserves it's own post. But anyway, we should be careful as disciples of Christ not to get caught up in that and be continuously measuring ourselves up to Jesus, and finding our identity in Him and not our religion

          So if people's identities are wrapped up in their discussions, it's extremely difficult to separate those and talk rationally. When a Christian says, "You're homosexuality is a wrong," the gay person feels attacked. When a gay says, "your religion makes me out to be like a leper or something," the Christian also feels attacked. 

          To be honest, I don't really know any homosexuals/bisexuals/etc. that well. I don't know what's it like to be judged for that or ostracized by friends and family. I can imagine, though. So as a disciple of Jesus Christ, I'm challenging myself to examine my own heart and work on my own sexual sins. I hope you will with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment