Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Why Do You Believe What You Believe?

Recently I've been really confused. A lot of questions have gone through my mind about Christianity and religion. You see, I want to know what's right. I need to make sure what I believe is the truth. What if what I've been believing my whole life is a lie?
It's hard being a Christian sometimes. It's difficult to give up your own sinful inclinations in order to become more Christ-like. So what if what the path I'm going down is the wrong way? What if all that has been for nothing? I still don't really know any clear answers, but let me take you through my reasonings why I believe what I believe.

1. God is real

First off, I know without a doubt that God is a real. I feel Him every day in whatever I am doing, and I know that I wouldn't be at the place I am at (emotionally, physically, relationally) without Him. Eternity has been set upon my heart, and I see the manifestations of that everyday in the wonder of the world. Even if He isn't real, and all I feel is simply neurotransmissions and chemical synapses, at the very least applying God to my worldview makes me a better person. (Check out Ecclesiastes for more on that)

2. Worshipping Go

Next is where it gets a little hazy. You see there are a few different religions that are all "monotheistic", and they all stem from Abraham. To list the major ones: Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. They mostly read the same Old Testament, but they differ when it comes to Jesus Christ and the New Testament. I won't pretend to know all about Judaism and Islam, but I do know that all 3 religions claim to worship the same God.

3. Jesus Christ

Now we've come to the tipping point. Even if they all believe in the same God, there are very different beliefs when it comes to Jesus.
The trinity (God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit) is at the center of Christianity. If you don't believe God exists as three, then you don't believe in Christianity. There may be people that say otherwise, but the Bible is pretty clear on that point.
So, the religions separate when it comes to Jesus and other prophets from God. C.S. Lewis describes it so well in his classic explanation of Jesus. And I can't help but think the same way.

"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." - C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I cannot come to any other conclusion than that Jesus was who he said he was - the Son of God. There are so many lives that have been transformed by Jesus. I can't help but believe that he is who says he is.

4. Unbelief

Finally, after thinking all these things through, and coming to conclusions, there are still doubts at the back of my mind. Still there are what-if's. So how can I go on from this? Well, I always come back to one of my favorite verses in the Bible. It comes in the story of Jesus healing a man's son who was possessed by demons. Jesus asked the man if he had faith enough for his son's healing, and the man replied, "I believe, help my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24)
The man believes, he knows that there is something there, but in the end he is only human and he needs help from the Lord God to be able to fully trust in the Lord God.
Faith is so beautiful in this aspect. We are to trust in what we know, but at the end of the day, we don't actually know. That last step is really scary, because it's a blind leap into the unknown. Maybe I'll be right and Jesus will catch me, or maybe I'll be wrong and plummet to my death. But that's what faith is, and that's why choose to believe why I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment